Welcome All- A Few Things to Know

Welcome All- A Few Things to Keep In Mind:

1. Hi all. I'm Storyteller Knight. You can find me on Fictionpress where I write novels about King Arthur, Superheroes and Vampires (but not at the same time) and at Pardon My Sarcasm where I rage about how the republicans are ruining all things.

2. Here is the Master List of books read, books owned and books needed to complete a series. Superscripts next to title links to reviews on this site. Or you can search using the lables.

3. I'm approaching this blog with the assumption that everyone reading already knows the ultimate spoiler of the King Arthur Legend: Everyone Dies. Those who read King Arthur books do so to see different interpretations of the characters and the stories. My goal here is to analyze the effectiveness of those interpretations. Thus, all my reviews will include spoilers.

4. This is not an Arthurian 101 blog. As I said above, I'm assuming that everyone reading already knows the legend and is looking for different interpretations of that legend. Therefore, I'm not going to take time to explain who the characters are and what roles they traditionally play. Links to Arthurian Encyclopedias at the bottom of the page.

5. These reviews are my opinions of the books. I may hate a book you love or I may love a book you hate. If you have a different opinion, write it up. I'd be more than happy to have some guest posts.

6. Please don't ask me (or any of the guest bloggers) to do your homework for you. As I said above, this is a blog dedicated at looking at these books from an Arthurian perspective. If you comment on posts asking us what the theme is or such, we're just going to screw with you.

Friday, March 18, 2011

In Which Story Contemplates the Possibility of King Arthur Star Wars Style

So, I'm reading Maurice Broaddus' King Maker, which is a modern day, reincarnation retelling.  And there is this fantastic line that I cannot stop thinking about (pg 39).
Merle waved his fingers in front of him as if with a sudden display of jazz hands.  "These are not the droids you are looking for."
Warning for small spoilers and Story's insanity under the cut


For those who haven't guessed, Merle is Merlin.  Which of course in Story's mind leads to Merle=Merlin=Jedi Master Merlin!

If I had the time (which I don't), I would so write a Star Wars/King Arthur crack!fic.  I've been thinking about it all day.  As I was telling Dark Angel Kiely, the interesting paradox is that Luke is a hero with an evil father and Arthur is a hero with an evil son.  So... it would have to follow the theory where the Rebel Alliance is actually a bunch of terrorists but tweak it so it's more of a twist on Britain's break from Rome.  Which would make King Arthur Darth Vader and the Emperor Rome (thus explaining Arthur!Vader's heel turn at the end and his death at the hands of Rome!Emperor).  I think Luke/Leia would have to be merged into one character as Mordred because he would have to both be playing a hugely active part in the Rebel Alliance from the beginning and have a grasp on the Pendragon magic.  Although, I would love to throw Lynette into the Leia role (nixing the Vader daughter aspect) which would make Gaheris Han Solo (or would that be Gaheris as Leia and Lynette as Han Solo... I like this one better).

Of course, all this leads to Morgan Le Fay as Obi-Wan Kenobi. 

Jabba is obviously the Red Knight Ironside of the Savage Damsel tale because the Jabba arch in Return of the Jedi is all about Leia/Han.

Dinadan as C-3PO I think-- him being the smart one who likes to tell everyone they've lost their minds.  And, get this!  It will totally blow your mind if you think about it-- Accolon is R2-D2 (R2 steals the knowledge of the Death Star and brings it to Obi-Wan/ Accolon steals Excalibur and brings it to Morgan).  Chewy is the dwarf from the Savage Damsel tale.  Lando is tricky.  If Gaheris is Hans Solo, then Lando is Gareth or Gawain.  If Lynette is Hans Solo, then Lando is Lyoness. 

I like Yoda as the Lady of the Lake.

I take it all back!  I'm writing this thing now.

(I suppose if we're thinking prequels, then Qui-Gon Jinn is Merlin (And Gwen is Padme and Lancelot is a delusion of Arthur's sent by the Emperor to make him kill Gwen).  Which means Liam Neeson is Merlin which is a whole other level of awesome thinky thoughts)

Goodnight everybody.

~Storyteller Knight

No comments:

Post a Comment